HIVE Art & Activism Design Submission
During our last meeting we decided on a theme for our upcoming mural/street art project. The theme will be The Body as Contested Space. We would like to get community input for the design and are asking anyone interested to submit their sketches/ideas to us by January 27th. Our next meeting is on January 29th where we will choose a design or a combination of designs to use.
Here are some specifics to guide your design:
- The goal of this project is to disrupt or express ideas through a public art piece. We would like the design to be intersectional, community oriented, and accessible.
- Designs should center around The Body as Contested Space. This could encompass reproductive rights, bodily autonomy, gender essentialism, and the objectification, restriction, or targeting of women/non binary/trans bodies (bathroom bills, harassment, domestic abuse, beauty standards…).
- The design should aim to be visually impactful, intersectional, and easy to understand (not highbrow or too abstract).
Medium: We are still deciding on our approach and are accepting submissions for both mediums.
- Mural- large scale, more permanent. Designs for this medium should be more “timeless” (less based on current events) since it may be on display for years. We would like to involve the surrounding community in the process of painting the mural, and would need to find a building or area willing to let us decorate it.
- Street Art- in an effort to take up more space around town and engage and unite different neighborhoods street art may be an effective option. This could involve wheat pasting, stickers, lawn signs, posters… Designs for this medium could be adaptable and meme-able so that individuals can take ownership of them this could involve an adaptable phrase or visual idea like Tatiana Fazlalizedeh’s Stop Telling Women to Smile campaign.
- Submit your designs to email@example.com by 1/27 at midnight
- Designs can be fully realized, or as simple as sketches or ideas/concepts if you are not comfortable with your artistic abilities. We are a collective of individuals with different skills and strengths and hope to utilize everyone’s ideas and abilities in this project.
If you have any questions for us or would like to be added to our working googledoc and pinterest boards please email us. You can also stay in touch by asking to join our Facebook group, Hive members, or following us on facebook or instagram to get updates. Hope to see you all at our next meeting and we look forward to seeing your ideas!